Dr. Maddalena Iannaccone
Veterinary Center “Il Mondo degli Animali Esotici”
via S.Martino 67/R – 16131 Genova
Veterinary Surgeon Specialized in Hygiene,
Pathology and Breeding of Aquatic Animals
Phone: (+39) 010 9820514
Mobile: (+39) 391 4095821
Mobile: (+39) 333 8663951
Ability and work:
- Exotic Animals Medicine
- Fish Medicine
- Managing health care in a controlled environment
Specialist consultant at:
- “Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche” (CNR), Stabulario di Anfibi e Roditori – Genova
- “Studio Associato Bocchini-Crovetto” (Genova)
- “Centro Veterinario Imperiese” (Imperia)
- “Studio Associato Bonati Chiocca” (Brugnato – La Spezia)
January 2008 Veterinary Specialist Consulting for Exotic Animal Medicine
- FISH: Medical examinations, transport, quarantine, treatments. Test analysis for assessment of physico-chemical quality of water in the aquarium (monitoring of activation and maintenance of biological filters). Performing of veterinary protocols for freshwater and saltwater fish. Prophylaxis. Diagnostic tests. Blood tests (CBC with differential).
Microbiological swabs with antibiograms. Biopsies of animals under anesthesia. Ultrasound, X-rays, CT scans, surgery. Necropsy.
- EXOTIC ANIMALS: reptiles, amphibians, rodents, birds, small mammals: Quarantine and therapy. Performing of veterinary protocols for amateur breeding. Prophylaxis. Diagnostic tests (medical examination, diagnostic samples). Blood tests (complete blood count with differential and biochemical tests). Microbiological swabs with antibiograms. Ultrasound, X-rays, CT scans, surgery. Obstetrics and Gynecology. Orthopedics. Orthodontics. Necropsy.
- MARINE MAMMALS. Collaboration with Water Parks and rehabilitation centers in emergency situations.
- OTHER ACTIVITIES RELATED: Collaboration with the CFS, Cites Service.
Partnership with the Animal Rights Office of Genoa (Italy) for vet checks, diagnostic investigations and treatments for the recovery of exotic animals.
Collaboration with the University of Turin, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine for undergraduate internships.
April 2003 – September 2007 Veterinary Surgeon at “Acquario di Genova”:
- Medicine, diagnostic, therapy, surgery, pathology, necropsy with all the 600 species held at the Aquarium for a total of more 13000 of animals (marine mammals, reptiles, birds, fish, invertebrates, amphibians) and with the animals held at the centre for turtles at Albenga (Sv), Italy
- Planning and realization of annual veterinary programs for marine mammals, fish, reptiles, amphibians and birds (including preventive medicine, diagnostic and therapeutic protocols, post mortem protocols)
- Improving reproduction plans of different species of animals (hummingbirds, penguins, seals, rays, seahorses) and organization of reproduction research projects (Ligurian Emys orbicularis and Malagasy reptiles)
- Rescue, rehabilitation and release of sea turtles
- Participation in stranding of Cetacean live along the Italian coast with the help of Cetacean Study Centre (National Network for coastal crash drifters)
- Collaboration with official institutions (including Cites officers, Government veterinarians) to help For the rescue of exotic animals
- Collaboration with research institutes and universities for the study and development of new diagnostic and therapeutic techniques
- Training young veterinarian employed in other Aquariums and students from different Veterinary Universities
- Participation in press release programs (TV and scientific journals and newspapers).
- Studies on hormonal cycles of marine mammals by ultrasound monitoring aimed at increasing knowledge on the physiology of reproduction in collaboration with American colleagues specialists
- Haematological examination of reptiles and fish.
June 2001 – October 2002 Veterinary surgeon in small Animal Veterinary Hospitals:
- Medicine, diagnostic, therapy, surgery and pathology with domestic pets and emergency cases
Graduation Secondary school in July 1995 (Final grade 60/60)
Graduated in Veterinary Medicine in March 2001 (Final grade 107/110)
State board licence (March, 2001)
Graduated Specialty in “Management, breeding, pathology of aquatic animals and supervision of fish products” (equivalent of a Master degree) in July 2004 (Final grade 70/70 cum laude)
Practical specializing training and stage:
- At “Safari Ramat Gan” and “Israel Wildlife Hospital”, Tel Aviv, ISRAELE (Dr Igal Horowitz)
- At “Ocean Park”, HONG KONG (Dr Paolo Martelli)
- At Marine Mammal Center, Sausalito, California – USA (Dr Frances Gulland)
- At Mote Marine Lab, Sarasota, Florida – USA (Dr Charles Manire)
- At Sea World Orlando, Florida – USA. Aquatic animals husbandry medicine and surgery (Dr M. Walsh)
Rescue, rehabilitation and release of sea turtles
- At “Acquario di Genova”, Italy. Aquatic animals husbandry medicine and surgery (Dr C. Gili)
- At “Stazione Zoologica Anton Dohrn” (Aquarium) in Naples, Italy (Prof. F. Bentivegna e dr A. Paglialonga)
- At “Istituto Zooprofilattico della Lombradia e dell’Emilia-Ugo Ubertini” department of Fish Pathology. Brescia, Italy (Prof L. Alborali e dr C. Salogni)
- At “Universitary Research Centre of Aquaculture” of San Benedetto del Tronto (Italy). Necropsy and microbiology of fish (dr G. E. Magi)
- In aquatic farm with dr F. A. Vaini (University of Milan)
Continuous Education Courses:
Practical course of Ultrasound (director Dr F. Rossi)
Practical course of Avian medicine and surgery (director Dr L. Crosta)
Course on Anesthesia and emergency medicine in small animal practice (director: Dr C. Adami, Dr A. Della Rocca
Practical course of Haematology (director: prof. G. Lubas)
Practical course in Exotic animal medicine (director: Prof. L. Crosta)
Course MARVET, Marine Veterinary Medicine (director dr F. Gulland)
Practical course in Behaviour, Veterinary Medicine and Surgeon for rabbits (director: dr M. Avanzi)
Course of Endoscopy in Marine Mammals (director: dr G. Lacave)
Course of Medicine of Reptiles (director: dr Paolo Martelli)
Course of Medicine of Amphibians (director: dr Norin Chai)
Course of Avian Endoscopy (director: Lorenzo Crosta)
Course of Medicine of Primates (director: dr F. Klaus)
Course of Manual And Pharmacological Containment Techniques manuals in zoo animals (director: dr. Pietro Laricchiuta)
Course of Management, Medicine and Surgery of the herbivores in the Zoo (director: dr F. Klaus)
Course of Clinical Procedures in Small Mammals (director: dr Jaume Martorell)
Member of the Specialist Associations:
IAAAM (International Association for Medicine of Aquatic animals)
EAZWV (European Association of Zoo and Wildlife Veterinarians)
EAFP (European Association of Fish Pathologists)
SIVASZOO (Italian Association of Veterinarians for Wild and Zoo Animals)
SIVAE (Italian Association of Veterinarians for Exotic Animals)
Gili C., Iannaccone M., Gremigni Francini M. “Therapeutic approach to the control of an infestation of Neobenedenia melleni (Mac Callum, 1927 – Yamaguti, 1963) on specimen of batfish (Platax orbicularis, Forsskål 1775) maintained in a tropical mixed exhibit”. Poster presented at the 5th International Congress of Aquaculture in Verona, october 2003
Gili C., Sogorb A., Iannaccone M., Barao da Cunha M., Vannozzi J., Costa L. “Tursiops truncatus fetal extraction”. Oral presentation at Dolphin Reproduction Workshop October, 2-5 2005 Paris
Magi G.E., Iannaccone M., Gili C., Renzoni G., Rossi G. “Esophageal rhabdomyoma in a Mediterranean Moray eel (Muraena helena, L. 1758)” Oral comunication at SISVET meeting in Palermo (september 2006).
Magi G.E.; Iannaccone M.; Gili C.; Rossi G.; Cardiac cholesterol granulomas in a piper gurnard, Trigla lyra (L.). (Journal of fish diseases. 2009; 32 (5) Pages: 473 – 475)
Iannaccone M., G.E. Magi, G. Rossi “Acute respiratory distress syndrome in an uromastix (Uromastyx achantinura nigriventris, 1820)” . Oral presentation at International Conference on Diseases of Zoo and Wild Animals 2011, June 1-4 Lisbon, Portugal
Iannaccone M., G.E. Magi, G. Rossi, A. Crovetto. “Cryotherapy treatment for squamous cell carcinoma affecting a marginated tortoise (Testudo Marginata, 1789)”. Poster at International Conference on Diseases of Zoo and Wild Animals 2011, June 1-4 Lisbon, Portugal
G.E. Magi, Iannaccone M., G. Rossi. “Atypical cutaneous mycobacteriosis caused by Mycobacterium marinum in a goldfish (Carassius Auratus)”. Poster at International Conference on Diseases of Zoo and Wild Animals 2011, June 1-4 Lisbon, Portugal
Iannaccone M., Crovetto A., Gattulli M., Ghirardo M., Raschi A. “Use of Palatal Expanders to correct the carapax growth of a Testudo Hermanni (Gmelin, 1789)” . Oral presentation at International Conference of reptilian and amphibian medicine, 13th-15th may 2012, Cremona (Italy)
Campolo M., Camarda A., Iannaccone M., Laricchiuta P., Circella E., Pugliese N., Menga G., de Ruvo G., Lai O. “Un grave focolaio di Poliomavirosi aviare in un allevamento di pappagalli ondulati (Melopsittacus undulatus) nel nord Italia, diagnosi e profilassi” . Oral presentation at 73th International Conference SCIVAC, 8th-10th June 2012, Rimini (Italy)
Rinaldi S., Iannaccone M., Magi G. E., Costantini E., Castagna A., Sanna Passino E., Maioli M. and Fontani V. “Physical reparative treatment in reptiles” BMC Veterinary Research Feb 2013, 9:39, doi:10.1186/1746-6148-9-39
Iannaccone M., Gattulli M., Crovetto A., “Repair of mandibular and palatal fracture in a Testudo graeca using acrili resin” Poster at International Conference on Avian, Herpetological and Exotic Mammal Medicine, April 2013, Wiesbaden, Germany
Iannaccone M., Mangraviti D. “Basal bacterial population in the oral cavity of captive Mediterranean Testudo Marginata, Testudo graeca and Testudo Hermanni. Preliminary results” Poster at International Conference on Diseases of Zoo and Wild Animals, May 2013, Vienna, Austria
Campolo M., Iannaccone M., Laricchiuta P., De Ruvo G., Menga G., Mangraviti D., Beretti C., Campanella F., Lai O. “Costipazione intestinale in Geochelone Sulcata. Osservazioni e soluzioni pratiche nel trattamento, anestesia e ospedalizzazione in soggetti di grosse dimensioni”. Poster at 78th International Congress SCIVAC, 31st May-2nd Jun 2013, Rimini, Italy
Iannaccone M., Rossi G. Magi G.E., Campolo M. “Acute respiratory distress syndrome in an uromastix (Uromastyx acanthinura nigriventris, 1820)“. Journal of Exotic Pet Medicine. In press, 2014
Iannaccone M., Sanna Passino E., Campolo M., Bono L., Secci F., Columbano N. “Evaluation of chemical immobilisation with medetomidine-tiletamine-zolazepam-butorphanol and medetomidine-ketamine-butorphanol in Red-eared slider turtles (Trachemys scripta elegans)” Poster at International Conference on Diseases of Zoo and Wild Animals, May 2014, Warsaw, Poland
Iannaccone M. “Giant tortoises: management and vet- problems”. Oral presentation at National Conference SIVASZOO, october 2014, Turin, Italy
Campolo M., Postiglione G., Menconi V., Magi G.E. and Iannaccone M. “First electrosurgical excision of fibrosarcoma in goldfish”. 26, Bull. Eur. Ass. Fish Pathol. 35 (1) 2015
Iannaccone M., Postiglione G., Spanò F., Campolo M. “Management and veterinary protocols development for African Clawed Frog (Xenopus laevis) housed in an Italian research institute (1997-2014)”. Oral presentation 2nd International Conference on Avian herpetological and Exotic mammal Medicine, 17-23 April 2015, Paris, France.
Iannaccone M., Postiglione G., Menconi V., Campolo M. “Fish skin lesions: an old problem analysed in a new way”. Poster presentation: European Association Zoo and Wild life Veterinarians, 13-16 May 2015, Barcellona, Spain.
Levi M., Avallone G., Sarli G., Postiglione G., Iannaccone M., Brunetti B. “Elodontoma and cementifying fibroma in a degu (Octodon degus)”. Poster presentation: LXIX Sisvet congress 2015, 15-17 June, Perugia, Italy.